Saturday, May 23, 2009

Perfect Timing

So I´ve got to thinking while I´ve been away that in some past life of mine I was a terrible terrible creature. If being robbed, bugged and moved within the first two weeks wasn´t enough, I now have another problem to add to my ever growing list... It was as if with all the fun and excitement that has been happening in the last few weeks my wisdom teeth were beginning to feel left out of the adventure.. so instead of being patient little beauties, one in particular chosen to rear it´s ugly head.- thanks.

Just as soon as my body started to be a smidge forgiving regarding the food, water and weather something else had to jump up causing mucho discomfort. So not only am I 70 Cordoba short and down one entire Nicaraguan family I now have a super inflamed face in a foreign country. The only upside to this has got to be that maybe i will attract less cat calls.. fingers crossed. After popping Advil like it was candy for about a week I finally gave in and went to a dentist, a Spanish speaking dentist, a Spanish speaking dentist in a foreign country. (just in case you forgot.)

Cesar, my Spanish tooth man had his dentists office blaring with some Latin American tunes. A cluttered room full of rosaries, crosses and other interesting figures made me a feel oddly safe. Directly after Cesar took a gander at my mouth he began explaining the situation - IN SPANISH. The only thing that was not lost in translation was-- INFECTION ERUPTION EXTRACTION. one word to describe this- awesome.

After another broken translation I learned my wisdom tooth has great timing and ha s broken through the surface causing a huge infection alone the way, and if it doesn´t come out soon with bad news bears. So i am now on a steady supply of Nicaraguan drugs for the next 7 days, and then the adventure continues to an extraction. Seriously, what next'?

All for now,
Peace

4 comments:

  1. You poor woman! Wisdom teeth aren't fun at any time - especially not while away from home. I'm looking forward to when you've gotten through this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh hunny.... I miss you and can't wait to see your lovely face again! I have the card you made me on my desk :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jess! Wow... It seems like it's definitely beenan experience! I hope you feel better soon!
    As it turns out, I too ended up going on a trip abroad... I am actually stationedin Ternopil, Ukraine with Jen and Jess! I got to come here through Students for Development and it was a very last-minute opportunity! So wish me luck too!
    I'll be thinking of you and keeping track of your blog. Hope everything goes on smoothly from now on.
    *hugs*
    Miri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Jess, your blogs are entertaining and down right funny. I'm sure nursing wisdom teeth that are screaming to be released from their compact spaces isn't funny but your description of events has us there right with you and feeling your pain. What an eye opener for a Canadian, let alone someone who has the advantages of a washer and dryer, a home without creepy crawlies and a comfortable bed to sleep in. My advice as a nurse, make certain the infection is all gone before any extraction happens. Take the antibiotics till they are finished. We are keeping track of your adventures, keep smiling, well maybe not right at this minute since your mouth and face are probably sore. Another tip rinse your mouth twice a day with warm water and salt, it helps get rid of the nasty germs racing around your mouth....ox Auntie carol and Uncle Kip

    ReplyDelete