Friday, May 8, 2009

BUGS

BUGS!! When looking back and preparing for this trip I thought of many things. Of the lack of running water, of getting sick, of not enough food.. etc.. you name it, I THOUGHT i thought about it. But apparently I was WRONG-O. My second night in Esteli proved to be more challenging than the first. It had rained all day, no meeting with the other Intercordians and to my dismay bugs. Now i´m not talking about a few buys.. that even I can handle. No No No NO! I have never seen so many bugs in my entire life.. combined! .. and lucky for me they all decided to have a little meet and greet in my room.. on my door. There were SO many they covered then entire face of the door.Needless to say.. I had my very first Beyond borders FREAK OUT, and it was huge complete with tears and all.

Later, I found out that with the first rain came loads of bugs. Apparently they don´t bite but it doesn´t make them any less creeeeepy... at least through my anti bug eyes. My host family all shared a nice laugh about it and kept saying NO PROBLEMO.. however it was a grade problemo at least for me! They moved me into a new room further into the house, and to my delight BUG FREE. I was very thankful that they realized it was important for me, even though it was normal for them.

Today has been a very good day although I still look ahead and think three months away.. can I do it? Do i even want to do it? and mostly what the heck am i thinking!?

This morning bright and early we went to Los Pipitos for our language training and after we toured the place. After only four short hours I can not communicate in Spanish with my family! Mind you it´s pretty broken, but it´s a start. I will never take this form of communication for granted ever again! Los Pipitos is a beautiful place! Its amazing in the same kind of way I found the Working Centre was like Oz! Each building is splashed with bright colors and photos of the children. Immediately I had a bunch of new friends once we met some of the kids and it didn´t matter if we couldn't speak to them because smiles and hugs are the same in every language and that's all they wanted.I think I am going to really like working here, how can anyone not with all of this positive energy floating through the rooms?

The obstacles this week have all taught me something. As Joanne says FRUSTRATION leads to LEARNING and once again she´s right.. I just hope that not every week has so many obstacles in store!

Peace

6 comments:

  1. JESS!!!! eekkk I'm glad they moved you to a new room that is bugless!! And I know you'll love Los Pipitos. Can't wait to see pictures!!

    be strong girl. know that we're all doing this together and you're not alone :) *hug

    ReplyDelete
  2. jess!!

    i love reading your posts and im so happy to read that your adjusting and making those amazing connections (even if it is with a few bugs!) your at the beginning of a really amazing chapter of your life! soak it all up! :)

    brittany

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY So happy you added on to the blog! So glad to hear your safe and sound, even if you had to go through a few bug confrontations lol. Stay strong my dear, it must be so overwhelming for you already but Im sure these blogs will get happier and happier along the way. Love you and thinking of you! xoxoxo

    Glo

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dearest Jess,

    I was SO excited to read your latest post! And quite happy to hear that you are safe and sound in your new home! I thought of you today and how insanely much I miss you and sitting at the front of meeting looking all stylin' (you know what I mean ;D). Stay positive my dear, you are doing amazing work and this experience will be one of the best of your life, and you are going to learn so much about yourself and others! Keep us posted love! A mailing address would be pretty sweet too ;)

    L&L
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. JESS DB! Nice to hear about your trip! It's funny reading everyones blogs because I think we are all going through the same emotions... especially the "what am I doing here and do I even still want to do this?!" It seems like you're doing a good job of styaying positive, though, so props to that. Enjoy the rest of your trip and I look forwrd to reading your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. New Zealand has no poisonous bugs or animals. lol Good luck with everything. Keep up the good work!!

    Steve B

    ReplyDelete