Monday, May 11, 2009

a hand, a heart beat and an unusual feeling

A hand a heart beat and a very unusual feeling were all jumbled in the adventures of today. During Spanish lessons at Los Pipitos today I met a young man by the name of Alfonzo and though I don´t know a lot about him, I do know he likes to touch people and he likes heart beats and apparently he liked my heart beat.

Alfonzo does not talk a lot. In fact I had no idea of his presence in the room until I felt a hand out of no where land on my chest. INVASION of personal space is what first popped into my head. A little HELLO your in my personal bubble, please step away. I had no idea who this kid was and WHY on earth he was touching me. After a broken translation I discovered Alfonzo was soothed by the feeling of a heart beat- WEIRD. I still don´t really understand it, however it is good to have a warning that he will be back rather than a shocking surprise.

I never realized how different a preconception can very from person to person. Personally I like my individual space and I especially like that people know their boundaries at least at home. In Nicaragua things are different. I don´t believe the term ´personal bubble´ has ever been coined and if it has, it sure is not very strict. I don´t know what it is, but it´s different here and no one seems to mind. People seem to prefer a closeness between them which is something to get used to. It isn´t bad mind you, just different Maybe it´s time I hung up my own individual bubble suit for a while and embraced the lifestyle before me.

Peace

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad the specialness of your heart is realized and liked all the way in Nicaragua as well :)

    Glo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess! It only took me this long (since you've been gone) to figure out how to let you know that I'm reading your blog, and following your adventure. You know, when you get as old as me (LOL) this technology is hard to figure out. So ~ just letting you know that I'm checking your blog often, thinking about you more, and oh so proud of you! Love you little one. Aunt Corry xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss you so much it hurts!
    xoxo
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jess, Thinking of you on your adventure. Hang in there girl! You CAN do this! Can't wait to hear your stories when you return. Deb @ SJU

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Jess, I thought it was time that your proud dad post something on your blog. I am so proud of you and that you are sharing yourself on this wonderful journey. Keep safe.
    Lots of love,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jess,I thought the worst thing in your life was being locked in our bathroom in Florida,boy was I wrong. Anyway Reta & I are thinking of you,


    Love Reta & Don

    ReplyDelete