Friday, May 8, 2009

Greetings from Nicaragua!

WOW! What a roller coaster of emotions this past week has brought. When Mary Bee, Joanne and Lisa said to embrace the unknown they were not kidding! Nothing can really prepare you for jumping into a different culture complete with a new language, climate and ways of approaching life. When the five of us met in Toronto all keen and ready to jump into the unexpected I hadn´t the slightest clue what was ahead of me.. and to be honest i still dont!

The first day we were introduced to the way Nicaraguans approach time. Tamara- one of our leaders promised we would meet again the following day at 2 in the afternoon to begin our Spanish classes, our much needed Spanish classes i might add! 2 quickly became 3 turning into 5 that eventually ended up happening the next day. AHH i was so frustrated already! The only thing that got me through the first night was knowing I would soon be reunited with my fellow beyond bordians. Though my host family did their best at including me in their conversations I felt very alone and isolated. - which many of you know, is my biggest fear. If anything this feeling of isolation has been a huge motivator to not only immerse myself into the culture but to learn as much of the language as possible. Those terrible feelings of isolation will return, i am sure but right this second I have found some kind of momentary comfort that I will enjoy for the time being!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment