Tuesday, June 16, 2009

T.G.I.F

I love Fridays. I think it´s a world wide trend that people look forward to the weekend, and sorry to disappoint, it´s no different here in Nicaragua. Although here Fridays mean more than TGIF on the ABC channel and a few beers celebrating the end to another week, because here I cannot understand the t.v and beers, well they can flow any day given that your thirsty and they are cold. In my neighborhood in Esteli, Friday means market day and the streets are cramped with locals buying and selling fresh flowers, fruits and veggies. As I watch from the sidelines waiting for the 7 45 bus to pick me up and rush me off to Los Pipitos I notice that an outdoor market has the ability to bring the young and the old together, making strangers into instant friends and reuniting old friends with each other. For a brief moment the grime and vulgarity seems to fade while the city comes alive- i love Fridays.

1 comment:

  1. :)!! I am so glad we are experiencing the beauty of markets together but for different reasons. I could sit and watch a market all day! I can't wait to see the pictures of a Nicaraguan one :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete