Saturday, June 27, 2009

Father´s Day

Last Friday we had a celebration for Father´s Day at Los Pipitos and needless to say, it was yet another tear jerker. I came to Esteli with ten packs of Kleenex (about the size of a small forest) and now I´m on to toilet paper, pretty sad, I know. There are approx fifty children and youth the frequent the Los Pipitos Centre, and out of those fifty, thirty have fathers, and out of that thirty four were able to come to the celebration. As I was sitting, waiting for Nica time to kick in and the presentation to begin I noticed that a lot of the children were looking sad, much sadder than their usual cheery faces especially on a day when the work load is less and their is a party about to begin. After realizing that their sad faces were very out of place I couldn´t stand my own ignorance anymore and had to ask the first person that was a) around and b) can understand my terrible Spanish. Sitting close by was Marcia, a mother and a worker at the Los Pipitos Centre began tell me the histories of some of the children, and they weren´t lying when they said ´ignorance is bliss.´ Each child had a story that was sadder and more heart breaking than the one before them. Many have been abandoned by their parents in one way or another and are living with older siblings and even some on their own. Many parents have passed away, moved away or simply turned their children away because they have a disability. One little girl nicknamed ´Precious Girl´ in Spanish has lost both parents in the last year. Usually an upbeat smiling girl was sitting alone sad and frustrated. As the reality of their lives began to sink in I just wanted to throw on a mask and a cape and take away all their nightmare, problems and obstacles that they face every day and ever night. They are all such beautiful people that deserve the same kind of love and attention that we all crave.

With each day spent at Los Pipitos my purpose seems to get a little clearer. I was never sent there to be productive, at least productive in the Canadian-work ethic sense. I am not there to produce goods or do physically demanding work. I am there because someone needs to love these kids. They need one on one praise and recognition. I am now appreciating my position more than I ever thought because I know how much they need the love I can offer. Not only me, but all the volunteers at Los Pipitos are brought there to offer a kind face and helping hand to those that need it. No one could have told me ´Jess, these kids need love, so love them-´ The only way I could really understand this reality is to experience it. To see them when they are sad, and when they are happy and when all they want is a hug. Though the Father´s Day celebration did leave me sad, it opened my eyes to something I would have never have realized, and for that I am truly grateful.

Peace

1 comment:

  1. definitely didn't read this post with dry eyes.... :( you're doin great things there Jess. xoxo

    ReplyDelete