Wednesday, June 24, 2009

one step up

Finally, a plan! Things are slowly coming together at Los Pipitos and I couldn´t be more thrilled. Though I don´t think it will shape up to exactly what I had envisioned. this week is a step in the right direction. I am working in Pre Taller, a work shop consisting of about eight children a day. In Pre Taller much of their time revolves around doing many different arts and crafts by making their own paper, reusing and dying corn stalks, making pinatas, painting and of course, paper mache. Because these children cannot attend a conventional school Los Pipitos offers alternative education focusing on the enjoyment and possibilities that the arts allow. My responsibilities include having one on one discussions with the children as well as having home visits in order for me to be able to identify with the child based on their own life experiences. I also have bus duty, lunch duty and my favourite , bathroom duty. Though some responsibilities are a little less than glamorous, it at least gives me meaningful work, which is exactly what I have been looking for. I am also making an effort to learn sign language because I hate not being able to communicate with those children who are unable to speak.They all have so much to say, I just want to be able to understand and maybe offer a little in return. I am looking forward to seeing the progress in the weeks ahead. With a solid plan in place I feel like things are looking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment