Sunday, February 1, 2009

Professional Weaver on the way

Okay! So yesterday was my very first day actually working at The Working Centre, ironic right? And just like I expected.. it was fantastic, still like oz with a twist of willy wonka . I wasn't even in the door for 2 minutes and Mischa (who runs the art space) had me sitting at the loom ready to weave a rug- for sale! Another young volunteer by the name of Kat was very helpful especially considering I was pretty sure I broke the loom ..twice. Not to worry though, no one was hurt in the production of my very first rug, thankfully. It was really neat to see how people can use scraps of cloth and other old materials to create something really beautiful. Mind you, mine looked a little rough around the edges but I just pass it off as character. While at the art space I met a group of great people who come in weekly just to let their creative juices flow- man am I in the right place or what!?

John came in for an hour and helped make some natural lip balm and Tracy ironed hand made paper while Kat sewed a quilt and I weaved away in my own little world. We all had a quick break together for some deliscious tea straight from The Working Centre's Organic garden- which is super cool, if I might add. Every time I come into The Working Centre it's busy with people coming and going for lunch or coffee or just to say hello to one of the employees. By the end of the afternoon I felt pretty accomplished learning an entierly new skill with very little assistance and only a few..minor.. hiccups... and if no one wants to buy my sad looking rug I will because clearly not everyone can say 'hey i learned to weave today,' but i can, and i was pretty excited to do so.

On my way to The Working Centre I ran into fellow BBer Ruby and we were able to ride the bus together. She had already started volunteering and her own excitment got me ready for my own! I'm already looking forward to next week, who knows what I'll learn to do or who I'll meet. The art space offers many great life skills, especially if you never learned how to sew on a button,use a loom or learn about fresh herbs, and since apparently I've been sheltered my whole life from any of these great skills, I have a lot to learn!

Untill next time,
Peace.

2 comments:

  1. haha nice to hear you had a great time at the Working Center on Tuesday. I went down to computer recycling after the course so we couldn't ride back together. Maybe next time I'll come by the arts space and visit if you aren't leaving right at 4pm..then I can see your little rug..=D I have never been to the Organic Garden..maybe you can show me that next time too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both should most definitely cross the street and visit Amy in the kitchen. I have done my hours as of last week but I will definitely go back!! That place rocks!

    ReplyDelete