Monday, February 16, 2009

Less than 3 months..eekk

Less than three months to go.. I am really having a hard time grasping that in less than three months I'll be gone ..away from home..and in a completely new environment. The excitement as well as the anxiety is mounting. I was once again reminded of the love and generosity that exudes from my family. This weekend I spent the majority of it with family especially because it was my Uncle's birthday. Sunday was great because I was able to reconnect with a lot of people I rarely get to see and I was amazed at their interest in the program as well as their overall worry for me. Not only was it great sharing all of my thoughts with them but one of my Aunts asked me if I needed money for it and before I could answer she picked up a birthday hat and walked around the room asking family members if they wanted to donate. It was really nice to see them helping without giving a second thought. I must admit though I was a little embarrassed because I really feel uncomfortable asking people for money just because I don't want anyone to feel like they 'have' to cough up some or else. Needless to say though my family was great donating and I can't ever thank them enough!

On another note, I spent another great afternoon at The Working Centre in Kitchener last week. Even though I've only been there two weeks I'm really starting to feel like I 'belong.' People remember who I am, they ask how I'm doing, what I'm taking in school and in return we have some great conversations. The people are all really friendly and great to hang out with. Not only is the atmosphere welcoming, the working I'm doing in the art space is really refreshing. I have never been given the opportunity to do some of the things they work on, I love it. I've learned how to weave a bit and last week I work with Leanne, a TWC volunteer and we created some really tasty herbal teas. I have never worked with herbs before and it proved to be quite a science. I love my days at TWC because I always leave with a smile. The work is refreshing, the people welcoming and everything is really relaxed. Since I am at home for reading week I won't be volunteering this week, and to be honest I think I am going to miss it!

Since I'm home for a few days I am trying to tie up any lose ends before the trip that I can. It's crazy to think about it but this week may be the last opportunity I have to see friends until Christmas! I love reconnecting with my close friends from home and it kind of makes me a little sad to think I will miss the summer with them! I mean I know my time in Nicaragua will be both amazing and life changing, but there is that little part of me that thinks about the things that we do every summer. However I will not miss my usual summer job, and I know what in store will prove to be great!

Peace

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jess, I can't comment on your most recent post so I thought I would comment on this one and the more recent one here.

    I think one of the things that separates BB from other overseas volunteering orgs affiliated with UW is that they emphasize volunteering locally. I think that most of us are having such a positive experience in TWC, which is nice to hear.

    You are not alone in feeling nervous about this summer. Hearing that we have 2 months until leaving is a scary thought! With that said, have you reached out to former BB students or other WUSC/Intercordia students going this year? I found that to be very comforting, especially having the chance to ask qu'ns and see their blogs.

    I will also miss my family and friends. It's crazy how much we take for granted. Going home on reading wk hit me hard too; not being able to see friends for a long time and not being able to be in the jobs that I loved so much last year. However, think of the new memories we will be building and the unforgettable experiences we will be having. lol I can just see us this time next year feeling the same way BUT about not being able to go back to our placements.

    Lastly, on a random note: I love your comment about the plates!!!

    ReplyDelete