Friday, January 30, 2009

Something to laugh about

Since my fellow Beyond Border's students are hungry for more posts to read here goes another;
Yesterday the BB crew reunited for our second full class of the semester, and it was great to see everyone again.. clearly i don't mind admitting that I miss them! Instead of holding a regular class we were all asked to give small presentations either tackling issues about our countries, placements or other topics of our choice. I gave a brief discussion on Los Pipitos, the organization I will be volunteering at, and even though it was only for the small group that I've been able to get to know over the last semester giving the presentation still made me nervous as ever! I will defiantly have to work on this before presenting to complete strangers! It was a nice chance to learn about where everyone will be and what they'll be doing during our summer adventures!

As for The Working Centre, I will be helping in the art space Tuesdays from 1-4. Like I said in my previous post, I couldn't just pick one place! During my meeting with Margaret I told her 'I'll go anywhere the wind blows me.." or at least wherever The Working Centre needed a volunteer. I think that there are so many things to learn from this place that hopefully I will volunteer long after the requirements for Beyond Borders are filled. Once I begin my new placement I will post the updates!

Since the crazy countdown for lift off is quickly approaching I met with my parents last night for birthday celebrations and of course, endless talk about the trip. In my family I'm the youngest by eight years, and having a close relationship with my parents perhaps makes them worry a bit more than the average parent. My step-dad came to dinner full of excitement. He retires May 1 and has practically booked his tickets to come and visit me during the summer, which made me laugh pretty instantly. He's enthusiasm was so cute that i clearly couldn't burst his bubble so we settled on a compromise. The Beyond Borders program ends after 12 weeks of being in the country, however we are able to stay for up to two weeks after that. So I do believe Paul and I will be exploring Nicaragua further for those last two weeks. Not that I'm trying to get away from my parents or anything, but really flying to another country for a 'visit' really makes me laugh.

My fundraising is really coming together which is a huge relief. With school and work being busier than ever it's nice to have that weight lifted a little bit! With the constant snow and freezing tempts I'm day dreaming of life in Nicaragua..and as a hater of winter it can't come soon enough!

Peace.

6 comments:

  1. Jess,

    Your story is really funny, made even funnier by the fact that my mom was ready to do the same thing and bring along my younger sister!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute that your Step dad wants to explore your country with you. wait... wait can guys get away with saying the word "cute"???

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is funny, because my dad also plans on doing the same!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like this is a general parental trend- My Pappa (dad) was all for booking a flight to Ukraine too! If I say the word he'll be right beside me on the plane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clearly my parents hate me...no visits for me
    Hahaha - joking of course
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im in the same boat as Marissa.. my father has his trip to England in Sept all booked and ready to go... he said he might get me t shirt. But I have been away from home before so I don't think my dad is as worried about me. :o)

    I like your writing style too... easy to read. I wish I could explain The Working Center the way you can... I can never do it justice with my explanations

    ReplyDelete