Thursday, February 5, 2009

Wierton Willy & the Eco foot print

Just a few days ago Wierton Willy was supposed to jump out of his little hole and shout to the world "SPRING IS COMING!"I'm not sure whether the little guy saw his shadow or not but I certainly think we should all speed this process up, crank up the temps and melt the snow, no? As this consistent ice and snow continues to rain on my parade I can't help it but day dream of the smiling faces, tropical fruits and adventures that await me in Nicaragua. If you can't tell already, I'm not really a fan of winter. I miss my sandals, hate the layers and layers of clothing and would rather not freeze my tush off every time I wait for the bus.

On that note as promised I will deli ever some much needed facts about Nicaragua and all that it has to offer;
Located between the borders of Honduras and Costa Rica, Nicaragua has a population of 5 785 846. Their rainy season is between the months of June- November while December - May being the dry season. The dominant language spoken is Spanish which unfortunately i know very little of! (Kind of a minuscule worry!) The capital of Nicaragua is Managua which ironically lacks a focal point. Managua, like most of Nicaragua has both active and inactive volcanoes. Managua became the capital with no more than 24 000 people in order to settle a dispute between neighboring areas Granada and Leon. The land Managua stands on is very unstable with recorded earth quakes approx. every 40 years.

Though I will not be headed to Managua, Esteli is only about 150 km from the capital. Esteli is not only the third largest city in the country but they are also known as a transport hub and the biggest commercial centre in the North. While I am busy loving up the sun in Nicaragua I will be volunteering at a local organization called Los Pipitos, which translated means 'little seeds!'
Los Pipitos is a social program run by the parents for both male and female children with or without disabilities. Los Pipitos was founded in 1987 and since then has provided awareness for the general public and a better life for those who are affected. Since the development of Los Pipitos more than 15 000 families have been positively affected whether they are volunteers or participants.

While researching Nicaragua for a recent Beyond Borders class I stumbled upon information about travelers watching the impact of their Eco footprints. While traveling..
- look for accommodations that are both environmentally aware and that they work with ethically based principles.
- spend money on locally produced goods
- use common sense while bargaining because the few dollars you save may actually go along way for someone else
-watch water and electricity consumption because tourists are often give more while the locals are over looked
-ask permission before taking any ones pictures
All for now,

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment