Tuesday, March 31, 2009

a lesson learned

Since the semester has picked up with essays midterms, quizzes, work yada yada yada I've been completely avoiding my blog. It's kind of like that assignment you keep putting off until tomorrow. It's not that I don't like blogging, I mean at the beginning I didn't really think it was my thing but I've grown to like it, it has just been the lack of subject. I have had no idea what to write about .. and finally I've something to share:)

As fellow beyond bordian Krista and i walked from TWC to catch a bus this afternoon we started talking about our volunteer hours, what we've liked and what we've disliked along the way. Personally I've been a fan from the get-go. I love leaving the university bubble and entering a world entirely different than any other, meeting new people i would otherwise never meet and even tasting some delicious lunches along the way. However as all these things are aspects I love I also reflected on one minor detail that had completely frustrated during one visit to the art space;

Since Krista and i both volunteer up in the art space we can relate to the atmosphere, people and work ethic. Though the projects are diverse and there is always something to be made sometimes there just does not seem to be anything to do, at least if you don't have the skill or you are unfamiliar with the project. Mischa and Leeanne, two women who run the space are never too concerned if there is a lul, usually they make tea and we clean up previous projects, however for me.. this is an awful time! The one day I went and basically sat around for my entire 'shift.' I left feeling like my visit was pointless and I didn't help at all. Though I didn't do anything particularly constructive I met some new people and really had a chance to get to know them through the time given and dialogue. It was just recently that it hit me (possibly because I'm slow) that this is a great example of what we have all been warned about before we go overseas. We are not there to change the world for others, heck, we're not even there to really accomplish a lot, we're there to 'be' with people- and that's it.

Many BB alumni have forewarned me about their feelings of uselessness while away.. however I never quite understood. I thought.. I'm going to this organization and I'm going to plan things and carry them out. Through volunteering at TWC I have realized that many times the 'plans' do not go as they should, but things still get done, perhaps slowly, but they get done. I now approach my days at TWC quite differently. I head to the commons cafe for lunch and usually am stopped by an older man John who can't remember my name but remembers my face and always greets me with a smile. I've learned he loves to bring sweets to the group of friends he plays cards with and he likes be around people helping others. I've figured out my favourite dish the cafe serves (bean and cheese burrito with the works) and that I love to sit by the window so I can say hi to those coming and going and enjoy the sunshine. I've also learned that sometimes it's okay to just sit in the art space drinking tea and enjoying the company of those around you. I am quite fortunate to have experienced this before I go to Nicaragua because if I had felt useless here i can't imagine how frustrated I would have been there.

Once again, Oz has prooved itself.

Peace.

1 comment:

  1. This post made me smile. I have felt the same way at times ... not at TWC perhaps, but in other situations. It's hard to feel useless. But you are not slow lol ... you are just used to being useful. And that's okay. We just have to get used to being useless ... and realize that we are actually being useful. If that makes any sense lol. Thanks for reminding me of all this.

    ReplyDelete