Sunday, March 1, 2009

Long time gone

It's been about two weeks since my last post and now I have a lot to talk about! After talking to other Beyond Bordians this past week I feel as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Everyone has basically the same worries and as time dwindles I've learned it's best to talk to those who may be going through the same things rather than just avoid the subject entirely. Because clearly that's been working really well for me, Shocking right?

This week when we met at The Working Centre as a group with Joanne, Rebbecca and Joe and we were able to sit down and have a small meal together and discuss the alienation of tools. I read the articles that we were given and was instantly intrigued. The articles are so very true and before volunteering in the art space I would have been in the exact same boat. However, after spending time volunteering and just hanging out in the space I view things drastically different. The article discusses how people no longer grow their own food / repair their own things / sew / knit/ weave etc. I've learned how rewarding it can be to pick up something with your own two hands and DO rather than hand the project off to 'someone else' or BUY. I look forward to my placement each week because I never know what I'm going to be doing or learning how to make. Since coming to TWC I have big hopes to grow some of my own food when I am older and have the opportunity. I want to continue learning how to be self sufficient rather than relying on big name stores. It's refreshing to think "I can do this" when you may never had thought it possible. Thank you TWC!!

On another note my parents came to visit this weekend for my sister's birthday. Before the celebrations began they asked me to take them to The Working Centre so they could see where I spend my time. I was really touched by their genuine interest. I took them down to the Commons Cafe and showed them the art space and recycle cycles, I was able to buy the tea and lip balm that I had made last week and gave it to my sister for her birthday. I know how much my parents support me but reminders such as this one is really nice. Needless to say they LOVED it and will be sure to come back!

I cannot believe there is three weeks left of classes and then exams and lift off! My worries are less as my excitement takes over!! Hopefully more to come soon.

Peace.

1 comment:

  1. wow you made lip balm! that is SO neat. I want to learn also!

    ReplyDelete