Wednesday, July 1, 2009

White Rabbits

Last night I received some much needed advice from one of my new house mates. Her words of wisdom? White Rabbits. In England the first of the month means one thing.. a chance for good luck, and boy was I in need of some! This morning I followed her orders and the FIRST thing I thought of and said to Marissa in the grogginess that follows the alarm was WHITE RABBITS.

This was the best advice I have EVER been given, because today.. well Karma was finally on my side. I´m not exactly what I have done to have the gods back in my corner, but I will take and ask questions later, much later. This morning at Los Pipitos began as a slightly grey morning. Since there has been a crazy break out of influenza a lot of kids have to stay at home, diminishing numbers, while others were sad, my boss was MIA and this little boy Hugo who breaks my heart everyday because he´s SO sweet suddenly HAD NO TEETH! I was looking around the circle thinking oh boy, today .. well it´s going to be a long one .. get ready..and try to save the tears for later...

After the morning circle is when things got REAL interesting. I had no idea where to really begin because I had no one there working with me. Since my boss was ill the others just kind of threw me to the sharks. I mean come on.. lets see how well the gringo will do? Seriously.. at first I was a blank faced mumbler but soon I was telling everyone about Canada and had them painting and coloring right away. I´ve never seen them so excited and actually happy to work. We made a collage of the sky with silver Bristol Bord and danced the afternoon away. I was using more Spanish that I have ever used before and people were actually understanding me! It was great! Later in the afternoon Edwin, a boy who has recently lost his mother gave me the most gigantic hug i have ever received.. after this the day couldn´t get any better. It was so special because usually Edwin is off on his own wanting to be ignored and never ever touched. I also helped administration with a few e-mails to English speaking visitors and was basically on cloud nine when the bus pulled away. This was the day I have been waiting for, this is why I came and this is why I have NO regrets. Through all the road blocks .. and man there were road blocks they don´t seem nearly as bad after dancing away the afternoon with some very special children.

Now here's where things get a little freaky deaky.. I jumped on the bus (yes the RIGHT bus) and right in front of me was a man wearing a baseball hat that said KAPPA.. Now it was probably completely unrelated but it got me thinking of my dear sisters of Kappa Kappa Gamma. I thought they have been SO supportive through all the tears and frustrations I have had thus far that they really deserve to hear about today. I was thinking I would just stop by home for a minute and then send a MASS email to all of them.. however I walked into my bedroom and there was a package awaiting my arrival. This mystery package was FULL of letters, pictures and other trinkets from those lovely ladies.. freaky eh?

I want to thank everyone who has been reading all the negative blogs, e-mails and phone calls because it is all turning around. This is the step I need and I am excited to go back tomorrow and give it another shot! .. and ladies.. in short you rock my socks!

Peace

4 comments:

  1. hope the rest of the month stays this lucky for you! <3<3 love love loveeee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me = bawling like a baby and that was before I read the part about Kappa!!! I wish I could give you a hug as big as Edwin's! I am so happy that the mysteries of difficult times are showing their true beauty.
    I love you SOOOO much and keep smiling!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome Jess! Glad the package got there alright :) Love you incredibly and can't wait for our snickerdoodle date ;)
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a special lady,,,Miss Jessica and Im sure that's why the children enjoy youbecause they can feel the genuine caring flowing from you. So glad to hear you have finally had a day that makes it all worth while. Hang in there kiddo, you are keeping us all informed and thankful we are Canadians...ox Carol and Kippy

    ReplyDelete