Saturday, January 24, 2009

Putting some things to rest..

So there are only about three months to go until we all jump on planes headed for differect corners of the globe and spend twelve weeks not only learning about new people and cultures, but also about ourselves! Three months.. that is not very much time! I remember when there was about a year to go.. time has flown right on by and things are getting a little stressful. There is so much to do, and really so little time! These last two weeks have been pretty crazy with fundraising, booking immunizations, figuring out our responsibilities with The Working Centre and ofcourse, finding out more and more about Nicaragua!

Firstly, fundraising has been going great! When I started writing out the letters I was really worried about it. Our goal of two thousand dollars seemed impossible and was pretty intimidating, but as of now I am over three quarters ofthe way done! Having most of the funding is a huge relief.. it allows me to worry about all of the other things! Marissa, my fellow Beyond Bordian traveling to Nicaragua has booked both of our appointments for immunizations, which iI am not looking forward too.. and I met with Margret at The Working Centre to clear things up for the next upcoming weeks.

As for The Working Centre, I'm pretty excited to get started! I have absolutly no idea what I'll be doing because I just couldn't pick one project with all that is offered. As I met with Margret, a Working Centre employee, I told her I'd go anywhere that needed some help, so when I know, you'll know.

Another cool thing that's hapened is both Marissa and I have been able to talk to a previous Beyond Border Student. Becca also went to Nicaragua last year and she helped put quite a few fears to rest. She let us both know how friendly and welcoming they people are and what sights we should see during our visit. I also found out that Marissa and I will be fairly close while we're away. We're not working together but our organizations are onle a short walk ffrom one another, which is really nice. I think it will be comforting to have that 'piece of home' a good friend brings, especially being away from home for the for such a long time!

More fun fact about Nicaragua to come!

Peace

1 comment:

  1. I'm not looking forward to the immunizations too! I just had my TB test done today...and it hurt :(

    ReplyDelete